How to Submit to the CSU Political Science Research Journal
The following guidelines, each consistent with those of other academic journals, are offered to assist authors in preparing manuscripts for submission:
• The Journal is a new, annual, online, peer reviewed publication of the Department of Political Science at Colorado State University. Its goal is to highlight the research activities of undergraduate and graduate students and faculty, and to promote research collaboration both across the Political Science Community and across disciplines.
• This is an opportunity to build and improve on something you have already worked on and which has received high evaluation by your professors or committee. For example, revise a research paper that you completed for a class or an internship; or craft a research article based on a thesis, a professional paper, or a dissertation proposal. If in doubt please consult with the professor that taught the class or supervised the internship, or the chair of your committee. You can also inquire at email@example.com
• Manuscripts already published, under consideration by another publication, or intended for submission to another publication must not be submitted under any circumstances. In such cases you should contact the editors of the Journal at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the submission of a periodical style summary of your research.
• For examples of research articles you can examine any political science journal. The Journal of Undergraduate Research and Scholarly Excellence at http://jur.colostate.edu is a good example of research by students.
• Manuscripts, however, must be prepared according to the format and guidelines of the American Political Science Association at http://www.apsanet.org/media/pdfs/publications/apsastylemanual2006.pdf
• Manuscripts must be double spaced on 8.5” x 11” paper with a 1” margin on all sides. Set all text in 12-point Times New Roman type. All pages should be numbered with title (no name) in top right corner.
• Manuscripts should not be longer than 5,000 words, double-spaced, typewritten pages, including a 100-150 word abstract and tables (not including references). Exceptions should be discussed with the editors, at email@example.com prior to submission.
• Language is a powerful tool. Authors are reminded to use words that cannot be read as biased, oppressive, or offensive. Such resources as The Non-Sexist Word Finder: A Dictionary of Gender Free Usage and the Dictionary for Bias-Free Usage: A Guide to Non-Discriminatory Language may be useful in finding appropriate language substitutions. You can use the first person and please refer to document as an ‘article’ not a ‘paper’.
• Use titles that are compelling, short and descriptive of the manuscript’s content. Do not use abbreviations in titles. While article structure may vary, each article should have at the least:
An introduction situating and providing a rationale for the research question; A short literature review that places your research within the relevant body of political science literature; A description of the methodology/approach; Results and discussion of findings; A conclusion section that identifies future research directions and practical implications.
• Only citations included in the manuscript should be listed in the references. Double check all references to ensure that all sources cited in the text appear in the references and vice versa. Make sure all references are complete and correct. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of all references, quotations, tables, and figures.
• Each submitted article will be reviewed by three members of the Editorial Review Board, including faculty, graduate and undergraduate students. The text of the manuscripts must not contain any clues to the authors’ identities.
• The Editorial Review Board will provide its decision and comments in a timely fashion. Those submissions that are accepted should be revised within three weeks of receipt of editorial comments.
• For any questions please contact the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Please submit your article at email@example.com by noon, Friday March 9, 2018. Earlier submissions are encouraged.
Editorial Review Board:
Faculty of Political Science